Tuesday 9 July 2013

Wear sunscreen

Do you remember that "song" from the nineties by Baz Luhrman called Everybody's free (to wear sunscreen)? If not, or you haven't heard it, it's on the video below. I like it since it contains a lot of obvious, but still valid, truths.

My favourite line from that song is "do one thing everyday that scares you". I think that's a good mantra to live by. Especially if you're scared of a lot of things, like me. Now, finding something scary every single fucking day can be kinda difficult. I find that once or twice a week is a more doable goal.

So, last week, my scary thing was on Sunday. We went to a cave where you can get guided tours. Setergrotta in Mo i Rana, if anyone's interested. The cave in it self was just fun, I like being underground, even the bits that were rather a tight fit. No, the scary bit was traversing a narrow stretch where you had to have one foot one each side of the wall, and a 15 m drop below. The walls did have oblique ledges, but they were slippery, and we had no safety equipment. It wasn't really particularly dangerous, but as I said, I scare easily, and my heart was thumping heavily at this point. If I was to fall, I would also, most likely, get stuck, as it narrowed in downwards.

There was the option of taking another route, but since the three other participants, plus the guide, didn't do so, I didn't want to seem like the sissy I am. Fake it 'til you make it!

And afterwards I felt great!
Anyone else done anything lately that scared them?

No comments:

Post a Comment